A spouse to old Education provides a chain of essays from prime experts within the box that characterize the main up to date scholarship when it comes to the increase and unfold of academic practices and theories within the historical Greek and Roman worlds.
• displays the newest examine findings and provides new historic syntheses of the increase, unfold, and reasons of historic schooling in historic Greece and Rome
• bargains accomplished insurance of the most classes, crises, and advancements of historical schooling in addition to ancient sketches of varied academic tools and the diffusion of schooling in the course of the old global
• Covers either liberal and intolerant (non-elite) schooling in the course of antiquity
• Addresses the fabric perform and fabric realities of schooling, and the first thinkers in the course of antiquity via to overdue antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Ancient Education (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best education books
Post-communist transformation within the former Soviet bloc has had a profound impact, not only within the political and monetary sphere, yet on all elements of existence. even though greatly has been written approximately transformation, a lot of it's been approximately transformation considered from the head, and little has been written approximately how issues have replaced for usual humans on the neighborhood point.
This can be a major and interesting publication on a key argument in modern debates approximately loose will and ethical accountability. a lot modern scholarship on unfastened will specializes in if it is appropriate with causal determinism. based on compatibilists, it really is attainable for an agent to be made up our minds in all her offerings and activities and nonetheless be loose.
- Household and Family in Past Time: Comparative Studies in the Size and Structure of the Domestic Group over the Last Three Centuries in England, France, Serbia, Japan and Colonial North America, with Further Materials from Western Europe
- Fuzzy Mathematics: Approximation Theory
- Methods for Monitoring and Diagnosing the Efficiency of Catalytic Converters
- Effective Environmental Regulation: Learning from Poland's Experience
Extra resources for A Companion to Ancient Education (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
Weick uncritically accepts this; thus for us it is a rather strange proposition. : 212). There is much in Weick’s work that one can take no exception to, and the consistent emphasis on sense-making as an activity is to be applauded. Nonetheless and as we have hinted, there are problems. First, there is an uneasy alliance between sociological concerns with activity and some standard conceptions of cognition evident in Weick’s arguments. For instance, according to Weick ‘intentional sense-making’ is triggered by a ‘failure to confirm one’s self.
179) 38 Part I Thus, it appears ‘sense-making’ is specifically associated with ‘problem solving’. It has to do with the anomalies, difficulties and the strangeness of new encounters. This version of sense-making relies on a distinction between it and the ‘taken for granted’. That is, people seemingly do not ‘make sense’ of the world on occasions when they take it for granted, a cognitive space is opened, a threshold. This can be seen in discussion of, for instance CzarniawskaJoerges (1992) assertions concerning the degree to which organisational life is taken for granted to a lesser degree than is everyday life.
The development of a critical perspective, however, with a specific interest in power, resistance and subordination has come to look more like a defining feature of contemporary sociological analysis of organisations (perhaps best exemplified by Clegg and Dunkerley 1980; see also Edwards 1979; Carchedi 1977). It is paralleled by feminist research in this area (see for instance Cockburn 1983). , Piore and Sabel 1984). Such critical analysis emphasises the role of ideology, discourse (or textuality) and power in the contingent construction of the ‘self’ and ‘identities’ in organisations.
A Companion to Ancient Education (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)